October Updates


I’ve been so busy I really have fallen behind on this blog! I feel like October was the first month I really got into a rhythm here. Of course, I am confronted with frequent culture shock, but compared to September I’d say I’m pretty well-adjusted. I’m going to write individual posts about special moments, but here are some major highlights:

·      My internship! I’ve really gotten into the swing of things here. I’m starting to really bond with the kids and adapt to their individual learning styles. I make a 3 hour lesson plan for 3 classes a week. We do math, vocabulary, review of last class, and then I usually teach them a song that relates to the vocabulary we’ve covered. For example, 2 weeks ago we did opposites (up/down, light/dark, on/off, fast/slow), so I taught them Hello, Goodbye by The Beatles. Another week we went over locational prepositions (behind, next to, in front of), so we sang Facing West by The Staves. I have a lot more to say about this internship! So it will definitely get its own post J

·      Trip to Saly! Saly is a resort town two hours South of Dakar. Three girls in the program invited me to go a few weeks ago. They planned to leave Friday, which is great, because I usually don’t have class Fridays. However, my professor decided to reschedule our Thursday presentations for Friday just a few days before our departure. Responsibly, I sent him an email explaining the dilemma and he kindly compromised that I could present first and leave right after. Now the major question was how do we get there. After presenting and leaving class we realized a taxi probably wouldn’t be cost-efficient, so we asked the school security guard, Alfonse, for advice. In typical Senegalese fashion, our solution was not one we could have planned for. He said his brother would drive us for $30 even. This is something I’ve observed over and over again in Senegal. It is in my nature to try to figure things out on my own at first, and when I ask for help I usually know what to ask for. In Senegal, every time I’m brought to ask for help I’m presented with a solution more personal and less intuitive than I could have imagined. His brother even came back to drive us home on Sunday! So personal! Saly was beautiful, albeit touristy, but gorgeous and sunny nonetheless. It was also really nice to be able to cook for myself. Although living with a host family is one of my better decisions, I sometimes feel that my independence is compromised. I came off of a summer living on my own and working two jobs to not even being able to make my own bed, let alone cook for myself. Of course I love being pampered, and my family cooks better food than I ever have, but at my core I do now and always have craved independence. I also enjoyed the opportunity to have slumber parties! I’m so used to living with friends. It was really comforting to be able to stay up late talking to and laughing with some incredible girls! 10/10 vacance

·      A wedding! The Sunday we got back I went to a wedding in Oukam for my friend’s host sister. Weddings are very different in Senegal! In this case, the groom wasn’t even there. He was in Italy. The party lasts all day and guests come and go as they please. The bride makes several appearances in different outfits. Food is served at meal times. Griots sing and dance. Everything was pink. You’re allowed to wear white, etc. I found myself wondering what happens next, imposing my familiarities. I carry with me an American urgency that is unfamiliar to the Senegalese people, who go about living with a forgiving exhale: inshallah. I will write another piece about Africa Timelater.

·      School! I’ve actually had a lot going on at school lately. Probably why I’ve been lacking on the blog front. I’ve been writing papers and have had a few interesting field trips and guest speakers. I will write about the orphanage my professor grew up in and our panel on homosexuality in separate posts.

·      Fall break! I spent this last week in Spain visiting my cousin Maggie, who is teaching in Madrid! Halfway through the week, my mom met us and we road-tripped through Asturias. It was a gorgeous, wholesome, unforgettable trip, which definitely warrants its own post.

·      Projects, projects, projects! As always, I am working on stuff. I’ve been writing music and making more movies. As happy as I am here, distance certainly makes the heart grow fonder. I look forward to seeing my family in New York and continuing my life in New Orleans. I feel endlessly blessed to always be looking forward to something. I wrote a love letter to NOLA that I will also post later.

MAD LOVE ALWAYS AND 4EVER

XX

KIERA <3

Comments

  1. Hi Kiera...Reading this was great and knowing there is so much more to come makes is even better. Especially love your creativity in matching music to your school lessons. Love You, Auntie Rita

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts